Friday, April 8, 2011

Kale Pesto

I can't believe I didn't think of this on my own, but my great co-worker Claire suggested it to me yesterday as I was waxing rhapsodic about my current love affair with kale. So easy to make -- it's even more flavorful than basil pesto, has a bit of that great bitter tang that I love about kale, and is so packed with nutrients from my favorite superfood. Plus, takes 3 minutes to make.

In a food processor, add:

4 cups of kale (take out the stems)
6 large cloves of garlic
1/4 cup pine nuts (walnuts would work too)
zest of one lemon
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. fresh cracked black pepper
1/3 cup of olive oil.

Turn on the processor and once it gets going, slowly drizzle in enough extra olive oil so that it forms a smooth, brilliant green paste. Remove from processor and if you want, stir in 1/3 cup of grated parmigiana cheese (don't add this to the processor because the cheese becomes kind of gummy when processed into the sauce this way).

Serve as a dip, toss with pasta, use as a sauce for meat, fish or seafood, or add a dollop to your favorite soup.

YUM!

1 comment:

  1. Judy-
    my food processor died a few months ago and I've been holding out on buying a new one (just because I'd have to have it shipped to my office and carry it home on the train). This recipe may have pushed me over the edge. Maybe I can find one on sale today and just go pick one up!

    Can't wait to try it!
    Heather McGrew

    ReplyDelete