Monday, June 21, 2010

Rice Pilaf salad

This is a recipe I made up purely by chance. I had a number of left-overs and such lying around that I knew would work well together and all I needed was something to bind them all together. I didn't have time to boil and cool pasta, so instead, I reached for a pouch of Uncle Ben's Rice Pilaf that cooks in the microwave in 90 seconds. I thought this would be a good clean up dinner that the family would tolerate, and instead everyone who ate it RAVED that it was one of the best meals I've ever made. I was speechless, but it's now going into the regular repetoire! It's great for a picnic meal, a take-along for a pot luck party, or as a quick main course on a busy evening.

2 pouches of Uncle Ben's Rice Pilaf, microwaveable type is easiest. (or any other brand or variety that you like best)
1/4 cup shredded parmigiana cheese
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Juice of 1 lemon
1/2 tsp. of fresh cracked black pepper
1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
1/2 cup chopped chicken, turkey, beef, pork, shrimp, tofu . . . .whatever form of protein you'd like
1 cup chopped spinach leaves

Cook the rice for 60 seconds, rather and 90, put it into a large bowl, and add the EVOO, lemon and pepper (there's NO need to add salt -- the rice has plenty already.). When it cools to room temperature, which shouldn't be long, add everything else and toss thoroughly. You can also add whatever other veggies you'd like and have lying around -- the idea is to use this to clean up all the leftovers that don't quite make a new meal, but that you can't bear to throw out. If you think it still needs more acid upon tasting, either add more lemon juice, or some red wine vinegar.

Allow to sit for an hour or so, and then serve.

Voila!

No comments:

Post a Comment