Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Guacamole

I don't pretend this is either an authentic, or the only way to make guacamole, but as with my other Mexican inspired dishes, it gets GREAT raves.

Take 5 ripe avocados (the skin should be black, and they should be soft to a slight squeeze, but not mushy and there should be no gap between the skin and the fruit), cut them in half, remove the pits, and scoop the fruit out into a bowl.

Add the juice of 2 limes (lemons are an acceptable substitute, but I prefer limes), 1 teaspoon of salt, 1/4 red onion diced into small pieces, and 1/4 cup of your favorite salsa. With your hands (I'm not kidding about this part -- it's the best way to do this!), start mushing the avocados and mixing in the other ingredients. I prefer my guacamole with some good avocado chunks still in it, but you can mix as much or as little as you like.

If you want it to have a bit of a kick, either use a hot salsa, or add a few shots of Tabasco sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment