Monday, October 19, 2009

Bill Anderson's Ceasar Salad

This recipe came from my dear friend, Bill Anderson. He was a wonderful cook, and particularly, a wonderful baker. I loved having him and his wife Christine Stoneman come to my dinner parties -- not just because they are two of the best people in my life, but also because he always brought the best desserts. We lost Bill a little over three years ago, but I think of him almost daily. And he is responsible for a Ceasar Salad Recipe that the whole gang of our friends loves. And those beyond that circle, credit me for the dressing but he deserves all the credit.

It's delicious, easy to make, and egg free, so no worries about salmonella. Here goes!

In a small food processor or some such device (like an immersion mixer), add 3 large cloves of garlic, 1 heaping teaspoon of Dijon mustard, 1 teaspoon of Worchestire sauce, 1 teaspoon of anchovy paste (or 1-2 anchovy filets), the juice of one lemon, 3 tablespoons of plain yogurt, and 1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper. Give this a whir until the garlic is chopped up a bit.

Then drizzle in 1/3 cup of extra virgin olive oil until the garlic is basically liquified and the mixture is emulsified.

Put this mixture into a bowl and then fold in 1/4 cup of grated parmigiano cheese until well mixed.

Toss with romaine lettuce and croutons and serve. If you want to turn it into a meal, add some grilled chicken, salmon, shrimp, steak, portobellow mushrooms, etc.

It also makes a great dip for veggies, pita chips, and other assorted munchies, or a sandwich spread in place of mayo or mustard.

2 comments:

  1. Salad has been a digestive issue for me ever since I lost my gall bladder (ummmm) 19 years ago. The thing I miss the most is Caesar salad and this recipe has me sitting here drooling.

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a bummer Kelly, but if it's the lettuce that is the problem, try the dressing as a dip or sandwich spread --it's equally good for those!

    ReplyDelete